The famous Lord Shiva temple is located in Kiradu, a place 35 km away from Barmer city. The temple was built in the 6th century during the rule of Parmar dynasty. Kiradu was the earlier headquarters of Barmer district. Earlier, Kiradu was known by the name of Kiradkot and was under the rule of Kirad clan of Rajputs.
In the early 13th century, Rao Sihaji, founder of the Rathore clan, conquered this place from the Guhil Rajputs. There is an inscription dated 1295 AD which proves the existence of the Rajput clan in the area in the 13th century. Barmer was under the rule of Maharajakula Sri Samantha Sinha Deva at that time.
In the 14th century, Rajput ruler Jaitmal Rathore built the famous Fort Siwana. The fort is also known as ‘Garh Siwana’. In 1308 AD, Allaudin Khilji attacked the place and the fort came under the Khilji rule. The fort of Siwana was restored by Lutinga Chouhan in the years between 1318 AD and 1320 AD when he was able to defeat the Muslim ruler.
In the 18th Century, British rulers adopted the name Barmer for the region. The name Barmer was derived from the ruler Bahad Rao Parmar who ruled the place in the 13th century.